Poppy Seed Potatoes recipe shared by Priyanka Dave from India Food Network.
Aloo Posto is the famous dish of Bengali cuisine and has blast taste of Indian herbs and spices, which make the recipe perfect for any meal. It’s a typical Bengali recipe you will enjoy with rice.
The recipes are made-up of potato with poppy seeds which make the recipe little crispy and delicious. How to make Aloo Posto at home? You have to just follow the simple steps, the recipe is quite easy and simple to make. It’s the perfect recipe for house party and get-together.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 mins||15 mins||25 mins|
- 2 dry red chillies
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tea spoon: kalo jeera/ kalonji/ onion seeds/ nigella seeds (different names for the little, black seeds)
- 1/2 a red onion, shallot finely chopped
- 6 potatoes: cubed and parboiled. Parboiling ensures that you don't have to use too much oil
- 50 g Posto/ poppy seeds, khus khus in Hindi, (Khous Khous in Lebanese): ground into a powder and then made into a thick paste by adding a bit of water
- 1 tsp each of turmeric and cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp each of red chilly powder and sugar
- 1 tsp, or more, of salt
- 3 green chillies split into half
- 1 tbsp cooking oil. While any oil will do, the traditional Bengali oil of choice is mustard oil.
- Add 1 glass of water to khus khus
- mix well
- Heat a nonstick pan
- add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the pan
- Add 3 dried red chillies
- Add 6 green chillies
- Add 1 tablespoon of black cumin seeds
- Now add the potatoes in batches and stir gently for 3 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon of turmeric and mix well
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- Add 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir for about a minute
- Add poppy paste (khus khus) and stir well
- Add half a glass of water
- Add water to soften the potatoes
- Increase the flame and cook for about 3 minutes
- Break the alu with fingers to check if its soft and cooked
- Serve hot.
- Parboil potatoes for 7 minutes in the microwave
Recipe Rating: 4 / 5