Misr Wot (Ethiopian Spicy Lentil Stew) Recipe shared by Rebecca from RawSpiceBar.
Misr Wot (Ethiopian Spicy Lentil Stew)
Author: Rebecca - RawSpiceBar.com
Recipe type: Dinner
- 1 1/2 tbsp RawSpiceBar's Freshly Ground Berbere
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
- 1 cup canned, chopped tomatoes
- Kosher salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth (we love Saffron Road's Vegetable Broth)
- Yogurt & cilantro to garnish, optional
- Rinse lentils in a sieve under cold running water and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, saute onion in canola oil over medium heat until the onions turn golden, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add RawSpiceBar's Berbere spices, stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add lentils and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and broth, bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, covered, until lentils are soft, about 25 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding more liquid if needed. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of yogurt and cilantro. Works perfectly with a side of injera or naan bread as well. Enjoy!