Sakkarai Pongal recipe shared by Ravi Kumar from India Food Network. Author:
Sakkarai Pongal is the famous South Indian sweet rice recipe prepared during festival. There is another version of this recipe Khara Pongal or Ven Pongal. This Kovil Sakkarai Pongal should ideally be cooked with freshly harvested rice and jaggery. It has several nutrients and it has a very different taste compared to other sweets.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|10 mins||15 mins||25 mins|
- ½ cup raw rice
- 1 1/2 tbsp moong dal
- 3/4 cup Jaggery
- 3 cups Water
- ¼ cup Grated coconut
- ¼ cup ghee
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp Dry fruits (cashews and raisins)
- Heat the rice for sometime and remove it in a bowl.
- Heat Moong Dal for sometime and keep it aside.
- Put some water into the pan and add jiggery in it and heat it.
- Stir it properly and strain it. Keep it aside.
- Boil 3 cups of water in the pan then add rice, moong dal in the water.
- Add milk and mix it properly.
- Cook it for 5 mins and add the jiggery water and coconut.
- Add some ilaichi powder and ½ tbsp Ghee.
- Cook it for 5 mins.
- Then let it cool down so that it can be mould.
- Your Pongal Sakkarai is ready to cook.
Recipe Rating: 4 / 5
Tips while cooking
It’s always better to dissolve jaggery in water and then strain to remove impurities, if any.
Most recipes call for moong dal only. One can also make this with chana dal as an additional ingredient. In this recipe, use 1 tbsp chana dal along with moong dal.