Betel Leaf Rasam (Vetallai Rasam) recipe shared by Priyanka Dave from India Food Network.
Vethalai Rasam is a healthy and delicious rasam recipe with a beautiful aroma. It is also known as Betel Leaves Rasam because it made of betel leaves which have lots of medicinal properties.
In India, betel leaves is called Paan, which usually eaten with many stuffing in it. Chef Preetha Srinivasan comes up with the great idea and made tangy Betel Leaves Rasam.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 mins||20 mins||35 mins|
- 4 to 5 betel leaves
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves
- 2 small tomatoes, pureed
- Pinch turmeric powder
- Hing dissolved in water
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 4 to 5 curry leaves, slivered or whole
- Dry roast coconut on a medium flame till colour changes. Keep it aside to cool.
- In another pan, heat oil and fry hing.
- Add dals. Roast on a medium flame till the dals change colour.
- Add coriander seeds and dried red chillies. Roast on a medium flame till you get the aroma of coriander.
- Grind along with coconut and salt to a semi coarse powder.
- Store in air tight container and use as required. (If refrigerated, it can be used for up to a week)
Recipe Rating: 4 / 5