How to Make Jeera Rice (Cumin Rice) – Jeera rice is most popular rice dish many people prefer to eat jeera rice instead of plain basmati rice to go along with dals or curry dish.
It is normally made during festive occasion or for guest or even for everyday food when you want to add more flavor to the rice.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|15 mins||20 mins||35 mins|
- Long grain Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1 tsp plus 2 tsp
- Green Cardamom - 2-3
- Cloves - 3-4
- Cinnamon - 1 inch piece
- Black peppercorn - 3-4
- Bay Leaf - 1
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
- Green chilli - 1 ( Chopped )
- Fresh coriander - 1 tbsp ( chopped )
- Wash the rice and soak in 2-3 cups of water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the water. Heat 1 tsp ghee in a pan. When the ghee is hot, add cardamom, cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon.
- Fry for 20 seconds. Add the soaked rice, bay leaf, salt and 2 cups of water. Cover the pan and cook the rice till it’s done and all the water is absorbed. Switch off the heat and let the rice rest for 5 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork after it has slightly cooled.
- Heat 2 tsp ghee in a small pan. When the ghee is very hot, add cumin seeds and when they starts to crackle, add green chilli and fry for a few seconds.
- Pour the ghee over the cooked rice.Add coriander and mix well. Serve Jeera Rice with any curry or dal of your choice.
Recipe Rating: 4 / 5