Roasted Butternut Squash Soup recipe shared by Rebecca from RawSpiceBar.
This is the easiest way to make butternut squash soup, no peeling and dicing necessary. Simply halve the squash and roast it in the oven.
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|20 mins||20 mins||40 mins|
- 1 tbsp RawSpiceBar’s Pumpkin Pie Spices
- 2 medium whole butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeds removed
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 425°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the squash pieces cut-side up on the baking sheet. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and brush all of it over the tops and insides of the squash halves. Season generously with salt and pepper. Roast until knife tender, about 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Chop onion into medium dice. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 7 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add RawSpiceBar's Pumpkin Spices and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- When the squash is ready, set the baking sheet on a wire rack until the squash is cool enough to handle. Using a large spoon, scoop the flesh into the saucepan.
- Add broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally and breaking up any large pieces of squash, until the flavors meld, about 15 minutes. Remove pan from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Using a blender, purée the soup in batches until smooth. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve garnished with the pumpkin seeds, if using.
Recipe Rating: 4 / 5
The roasted flesh is easily scraped from the skin to simmer with sautéed onion, garlic, and RawSpiceBar’s Pumpkin Spices before blending with a bit of cream. For a bit of crunch, garnish with pumpkin seeds.